Fulfilling my Sweet Tooth!

I'm NOT the greatest baker, far from it in fact. But, that never stops me from trying to have a dessert with my dinner! Baking is an art, more precise than cooking and sweets are captivating, almost like a comfort food.

How to Make Sugar Cookies from Cake Box Mix

Friday, May 20, 2011

photo by YoAmes
Making cookie dough for me is like playing with Play Doh when I was a kid. I used to love messing around with that stuff. I like how the dough feels in my hands. When I wanted to bake cookies in a hurry I would usually buy cookie mix in those packets from the grocery store, however I was watching some show on the Food Network where the host made cookies with a box cake mix. I thought 'WOW'! I normally keep boxed cake mix in my pantry all the time so using that would save me some money from buying cookie mix.

Ever since I learned this technique, I've used it for quick baking. It works with any cake box mix too and then of course you can add nuts, chocolate chips, or whatever you like to make them your own. To make cookies from a cake mix uses the same method everytime and now I know how to do this by heart and you will too! The method featured in this post is for baking sugar cookies, but I've listed other variations at the bottom of this post.

Cake Box Mix Sugar Cookies
Ingredients:
1 18 oz. pkg. White, Yellow or French Vanilla cake mix (any brand)
2 large eggs
1/3 cup oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients at low speed until dry ingredients are moistened and dough is thoroughly mixed. I like to use my hands which are my best tools.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2" apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Dip the base of the flat-bottomed glass into water and press each of the cookies to about 1/2" flat.

Bake at 350 for 9-12 minutes. You can do the toothpick trick to ensure they're done. Cool two minutes on cookie sheets, then remove to wire racks to cool. Then after they've completely cooled, frost them with Betty Crocker canned white icing and drizzle with red and pink sprinkles or whatever decoration you like.

Other Variations: If you're using chocolate cake mix, add 2 tbsp. water along with egg.

You can stir in chocolate chips, coated candy pieces, chopped nuts, or oatmeal. Frost the cookies, using canned frosting, or make sandwich cookies by spreading frosting between two cookies.

NOTE: These cake mix cookies should be stored tightly covered at room temperature so they stay soft. I'd recommend an airtight Tupperware storage container.
Tupperware Snack N Store Cookie Container with Red Seal

Beautiful Food - Food Photography

I LOVE food photography. I've dabbled with how to bring that love to life and I think I've done it with "Beautiful Food", devoted to drool-worthy pics of food. You'll see finished meals, raw ingredients, maybe even place settings that should make your eyes water! No recipes though, just enjoy the beauty of food photography!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertisers